The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin originates from the thirteenth century but was rebuilt c1500-1510 and had some restoration in 1894 and 1904.
The tower dates from around 1485 and rises to over 98 feet. The decorative west door results from a fire in 1894. A lightning strike completely gutted the tower, destroyed the bells, clock, wood and lead work. The restoration work that followed resulted in the Art Nouveau font designed by the architect Henry Wilson. He was also responsible for the tower screen. The choir stalls and pews are 19th century as is the chancel screen and pulpit. Stone screens separate two chapels. St Saviour’s Chapel now houses the organ and to the south there is Our Lady of Pity Chapel. The church has a much earlier font at the front.
There are traces of medieval glass in some of the windows. The Remembrance Window, in the north aisle, depicts St George and St Michael. In the Lady Chapel (Our Lady of Pity Chapel) the Virgin is depicted with various scenes of local life. In the chancel the West Window aspects of the life of Christ, while the north and south chancel windows show the Parable of the Sower and Jesus inviting the children to come to him.
There is a ring of eight bells, six of which were recast following the fire and two further bells were added in 1998. Outside, the porch is possibly late sixteen century or even into the eighteenth century. A sundial is dated 1711. The Dovecote dates from the seventeenth century and was associated with the Manor House, which was demolished around 1850.